Early Childhood Teacher Education
Any Bachelor’s Degree program in Early Childhood Education or Elementary Education
from another college or university and a valid Michigan teaching certificate with a ZA or ZS endorsement or a bachelor’s degree in early childhood education or child development with specialization in preschool teaching.
Educational Bachelor’s Degrees available in Northwestern Michigan:
Baker College (Cadillac) — All students are accepted who have earned a high school diploma or its equivalent, such as a General Education Development (GED) certificate, along with minimum assessment verification from one or more of the following: high school transcripts, ACT scores, SAT scores, FASTRACK, waiver tests, or completed credit in math or English from another institution. High school certificates of completion are not equivalent to a high school diploma.
- Bachelors of Science, Early Childhood Education, 120 credit hours (Note: This does not lead to K-8 certification.)
- Bachelors of Science, Elementary Teacher Preparation Early Childhood ZS (General & Special Education), 136 credit hour
Ferris State University (Northwestern Michigan University Center, Traverse City) — Your combined cumulative grade point average (GPA) must be 2.0 or higher (on a 4.0 grading scale) to be eligible for general admissions. You must submit the following documents: Official college transcript from each post-secondary institution attended.
- Bachelors of Science, Early Childhood Education
Central Michigan University (Northwestern Michigan University Center, Traverse City) — Each application is carefully reviewed on its own merit using a holistic approach. The admission process takes into account the following: academic achievement in the most demanding subjects, SAT or ACT scores, caliber of high school program, school official recommendations, exceptional talents, involvement beyond the classroom, leadership potential, record of good citizenship, overall academic achievement, pre-CMU course selections and trends in academic progress.
- Bachelors of Sceience, Elemenary Education: Integrated Science (DI), Major in Reading (BT), Minor in Early Child Dev (ZS)
Northwest Michigan Community Action Agency
The Early Childhood Program’s purpose is to promote school readiness by enhancing the social and cognitive development of children through the provision of educational, health, nutritional, social, and other services to enrolled children and families.
Teacher Assistant Requirements
Go to NMCAA’s employment page for more detailed information.
- $17.57–$18.63/hr, Full Time, Exempt
- Valid Michigan teaching certificate with a ZA or ZS endorsement or a bachelor’s degree in early childhood education or child development with specialization in preschool teaching
Additional Qualifications Required
- 2 semester hours or 3.0 CEUs in childcare administration or an administrative credential approved by Licensing
- Be at least 21 years of age.
- Ability to meet the State of Michigan and Federal Bureau of Investigation background check requirements
- Ability to meet the State of Michigan and federal health requirements (medical clearance, mental wellness, and TB examination).
- Experience working with low income/at-risk families.
- Effective written and verbal communication skills.
- Basic computer skills and experience. CLASS reliable.
- Hours Per Week: Exempt (40 per week)
- Weeks per Year: 42 weeks per year